Monday, February 4, 2013

Decoder Ring

This was prompted by a Facebook post about not doing something permanently stupid because you are temporarily angry, stressed, scared, tired or hungry.  I "shared" it.  I thought it was good advice.  And then I thought....Wait a damn second, this is something I taught my children in their toddler years...

I don't have a magic decoder ring.  Honestly, no one is so interesting that their every word and action should need interpretation.  If you have something to say, for the love of bacon, SPIT IT OUT.

I have the reputation for being a bit of a bitch.  I tend to be very direct, how that translates to bitchy, I'm not sure.  However, if I ask if something is wrong and you say "no", I think you mean "no".  I don't want to go hmm, they said no, but it IS Tuesday and the wind is blowing from the East-Northeast, so therefore......   If at some later time you hit me with "Remember that Tuesday when the wind was blowing and you asked if something was wrong?" I will simply have to tell you that even if I remember, I no longer care.

Due to this cloak of bitchiness I wear, people tend to think I have powers.  Clearly my feelings are bulletproof.  And since I am not the first to scream and cry and tear my hair out and rend my clothes, I apparently do not fall into the "Sensitive" category.

Let me just go ahead and call bullshit on that.  How about this:  I am a human and you should treat me like one, if not for my sake, how about because it is the right thing to do....

I don't think it's okay to say mean, hurtful things and then try to in some way mitigate them by saying you were mad, hurt, scared, insecure, etc.  I If don't do it myself and I don't let my kids or husband or any of my loved ones do it why would I accept it from anyone else.

Here's the moral of the story.  I believe you.

No comments:

Post a Comment